Saturday, February 8, 2020

Trim Eneron—Part 2


CHAPTER 2– In which Trin is acquainted and reacquainted

Trin’s POV:

The capital was somewhat of a fairytale where i come from. We all know it exists, but no one knows what it’s like. Some say its a city where some are never hungry. Some say its a city where there are glorious sword fights and army folks. Some say its where the king and queen truly reside. Actually no one says that’s last one, that was mom one night when she was drunk.

The capital was much different than anything I had imagined.
There was a large wall surrounding it. We had to pay a hefty toll to enter, even though we were with the army. No wonder so many are in poverty, they couldn’t afford to even enter!
When we entered, everything smelt different. It smelled fresher, cleaner. Everything was brighter. There were millions upon millions of booths to bust food, not just fruit! Veggies, meant, bread! There were booths selling trinkets, weapons, and books!

“Why do you smell so bad?” The leader suddenly spoke up.
“Excuse me?” I asked.
“You smell horrible!”
“Living in poverty does that to ya!” I sneer. “If I smell so bad, direct me to the nearest bathhouse?”
“We kinda have to,” one of the others said. “No way are you entering the base smelling like this! You’ll need new clothes too.”
“I don’t even have any money!” I said.
“Quit whining, what’s your size?”

...

Bathhouses were a distant memory for me. I remember father and I would bath together because I was too young to do so on my own, and mother obviously wasn’t allowed into the men’s room. I can remember father’s gentle strokes of the wash rag on my skin as he scrubbed away the muck. I could still see his soft smile and his loving eyes. At least, I used to think they were loving. I can only remember them now as empty. An emptiness our family apparently couldn’t fill...

A pounding on the door snapped me from my thoughts.
“KID! Hurry up in there!” I could hear the leader of the men shout.
“Almost done!” I said, rinsing off and grabbing a towel.

_____

“You’re about to enter the base,” the leader told me. “Stay quiet and follow us.”
I nodded and followed them.

Inside the base was incredible. There were multiple stories and platforms where soldiers  walked around. Some were sparring, some were discussing battle plans, and others were just walking as if awaiting and order.

“I said keep your head down!” The man said.
“I can’t help it,” I mumbled. “Look at this place-“

I stumbled as I ran into someone.
“Sorry,” I said.
“Whatever,” said the person I bumped into.
I looked up at her for a split second before she had walked away from me.

No. There’s no way! It couldn’t of been her!
Opi had left for the capital a year before the war even started! She had always been one for peace! There’s no way...

Opi and I sat on the stone wall, looking out onto the feild of autumn trees.
“Are you excited to move to the capital?” I asked.
“Not really,” Opi said.
“Why?”
“Its very busy there. Crowded, political, full of soilders. You know I’ve never been one for that kind of thing.”
“But it’s safe,” I said. “There’s been a lot of mysterious activity near the edge of our town.” 

It was true, our town had been right at the edge of the kingdom. And there had been rumors of monster recently.

“Yes, but I won’t have any friends there!” Opi said.
“But you’re such a nice person! I know you’ll make lots of friends fast!”
“Heh,” Opi smiled. “Thanks Trim!”

That day was the last I saw or heard from Opi.
“Kid! Keep up!” The men pushed me forward.
“R-Righty! Sorry.”

It wasn’t her. It couldn’t have been.

___________

I had been put into my new attire and was given my office and bedroom. I sat in my office going over general Ervin notes. So many battles, so many lost....

“Permission to enter sir?”

I looked up to see a young man my age(at this point everyone was my age)in the doorway.
He had long blond hair in a pony tale and tan skin a little lighter than my own. He was incredibly handsome and I found myself blushing.

“Permission granted,” I said.
“NN,” the young man said. “Lead swordsman.”
“Pleasure,” I said.
“I came to introduce myself. I am ready to follow you’re order.” He saluted me.
“At ease,”
“I will take my leave,”

“Wait!” I said.
He turned back, confused.
“You may be able to help me with something,” I said.
“What do you need sir.”

“There is a girl in this Army, Opi. Do you know her?” I asked.
“Yes sir.”
“Could you describe here please? How does she act?”
“She is a good fighter with a spear, but incredibly reserved. Follows orders and doesn’t speak much.”

That doesn’t sound like Opi at all...

“Bring her in please.”
“Yes sir,”

...

Opi walked into the room.
“You requested to see me commander?” She stood tall with a serious face.
“Opi is that really you?” I asked.
“I am Opi commander.” She said.
“Opi its me, Trin!”
“I know who you are commander,”
“Opi, what happened to you? People have told me you’re reserved, don’t speak! The Opi I knew was friendly! And would never even think of fighting a war! What happened-“
“WAR HAPPENED!’ Opi screamed. “WAR HAPPENED TRIN!”
The storm was over as soon as it began.
“We are at war commander. There is no room for error, nor friends.”

Opi left the room.


TO BE CONTINUED




No comments:

Post a Comment