Thursday, April 1, 2021

WordGirl oneshot — “You’re Flaws are Beautiful” — April fools!

Happy April fools Day!



(Art by me)

——-


Becky Botsford’s hand shook as he brush began to touch the canvas. She was never the best painter, and envied her friend Violet’s skills. However, she needed this art class for grade credits, there was no getting out of it.

Becky ripped her paintbrush from the canvas and sighed. She had tried for so long to paint “whatever she wanted” like people said. But those very same people would make fun of her when she did so.

Becky looked at her paint pallet. She loved the colors she had chosen. They were thousands of pastel colors, with a dark charcoal black. But she wasn’t really sure what to paint with them. 

“Becky, you haven’t started?” Violet asked next to her. She was almost done with her painting.

“No,” Becky sighed. “I’m just having trouble-”

“Paint whatever you want!”

“Everyone always says that but they never mean it!” Becky cried. “Screw it! I’m just gonna splatter!”


Becky began to paint random splotches and such with the pastel paints on her canvas with no order whatsoever. The paints merged, blurred, and blended together in a shiny fashion. Becky...Becky actually liked where it was going! Becky then took the charcoal black and painted different rigid shapes. The black squares and diamonds and triangles added a shadowy affect.


For the first time, Becky was proud of her art!


....


Becky held her canvas as she walked home from school. The canvas was covered with a sheet. She didn’t wanna risk anyone seeing her art and making fun of it, not even Bob. A single rude comment would make her feel horrible about it even after she was finally proud. 


Suddenly, the ground began to thud. Toby sat on the shoulder of one of his giant Robots, walking home.

“Hello Becky,” he said. 

“What do you want, Toby?” Becky rolled her eyes.

“You seem quite protective of that canvas you have there.” Toby smirked. “Lets see what it is!” 


Toby’s Robot easily plucked the Canvas from Becky’s grip.

“Toby please don’t!” she cried.


Toby looked at the painting. HIs expression was for a second in shock, then unreadable. He tilted the canvas this way and that, as if to better understand the painting-


Becky reached up and snatched the painting back.

“I know it sucks!” she said before Toby could get a word out. “Why did I ever think I could be good at art?!” she ran away.



____


Toby sat there on his Robot in shock. The painting had been….beautiful. Toby was in awe of it! But before he could compliment it, Becky had gotten the wrong idea! He felt really bad.

Toby’s Robot buzzed at him.

“What?” Toby scolded.

The Robot buzzed.

“Yes, the painting was good! I’ll have to find a way to tell Becky that.”

The Robot made heart eyes.

“I-I I DO NOT!” Toby gasped. “I would never like someone like Becky Botsford! If anything I like wordgirl-”

The Robot rolled its eyes.

“I don’t like Becky! Thats final!”



 Becky laid on her bed, quite mopy. Bob tried to comfort her, but it did no good. She felt awful. 

Her painting lay in the corner, close to the trashcan. Becky planned to throw it out on trash day. It was worthless, just like her art skills.


_______



Becky sat in her seat the next day at school. There was an english test today, so that was bound to lift her spirits!

“Good morning class! I have good news!” the teacher smiled. “The school dance is coming up, and our class has been asked to make decorations! So instead of an english test! We will be making crafts!”


No test? MORE ART?! Becky’s heart sank.


“Hey Violet!” Scoops went over to Becky and Violet's desks. 

“Hey Scoops!” Violet smiled.

“H-HI Scoops!” Becky smiled as if to say ‘Yes, I’m here too!’. 

“Hey Violet, will you go to the dance with me?” Scoops asked.

“Ok!” Violet smiled while blushing.


Dig Becky a hold to jump into. She wanted to just hide away and never come out- 


Becky looked up when she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Toby.

“What do you want?” She glared.

“I, well…” Toby looked nervous. “I belive an apology os in order.”

“What?”

“I would like to apologize. I thought your painting was quite incredible, but was unable to find the words to tell you. It came out wrong and I upset you. I am sorry.”

“You...you really liked it?”

“Yes, I did.”

“Th-Thank you Toby,” Becky blushed. “I forgive you.”


The two stood there in silence for a bit, unsure what to say next. They were both a blushing mess.


“Would you like to make decorations together?” Toby asked.

“I would,” Becky said. “But I’m almost more worse at crafts than I’m worse at art!”

“I’m sure whatever you make will be-“ Toby cleared his throat “-Lovely.” 

Becky sighed. “Okay…”




Becky and Toby worked together on decorations until Lunch. And even when Lunch time came, they stayed in the classroom to work. During that time Toby’s Robots stopped by to help.

(Bob had obviously gone to the cafeteria for lunch)


“Why do you make so many Robots Toby?” Becky asked. “Other than to fight WordGirl.”

Toby looked a little nervous. “I’m...I’m obviously not good with people. Robots are different. They’re predictable. And I can program them to be...kind.”

“I had no idea you felt that way. I’m sorry.”

“Its quite alright. After all, they truly are my friends.”


“...Are we friends?” Becky asked.

“You’d want to be my friend?” Toby looked at Becky, wide eyed.

“I...I think I would.”

“...Then...Then yeah. W-We can be friends.”


Becky rested her hand on Toby’s for a second, then they continued to make decorations.


_________



“Will you be going to the Dance?” Toby asked Becky as they walked home from school.


Toby and Becky had become much closer. They often talked during Lunch and walked together. Where did they walk? Everywhere. To school, From school, in the mall, in the park, everywhere!

They would discuss their interests, such as English and Robots. Recently Toby hadn’t attacked WordGirl or the city at all! Becky couldn’t help but wonder why.


“I...I don’t think so…” Becky said.

“Why not?” Toby almost sounded disappointed?

“I...I’m a horrible dancer. And I would only embarrass myself.”

“I don’t think you would do that.”

“I don’t have a date either,” Becky said. 

“Well I-“

“I’m a total loser! There’s no way I’m going!” Becky ran off.



Becky and Bob sat in her room.


Bob screeched at her, upset. 

“Bob, I’m not going to the Dance!” Becky said.

Bob looked mad.

“I know you really wanna go but I really DON’T!”

Bob screeched really loud. “FINE! I’ll take you there but I’m not going inside!!”


_____________


The day of the Dance arrived and Becky dropped Bob off at the school. Inside lights flashed and Music blared. Becky and Toby’s decor was hung everywhere, and it looked like so much fun! But Becky refused to go inside. She would only make a fool of herself.


Becky went behind a wall a and transformed into WordGirl. She flew into the sky, away from the school-



WordGirl spotted one of Toby’s Robots in the schoolyard. Toby sat on it’s shoulder, looking sad. She flew down near him.

“Toby?” WordGirl approached him.

“WordGirl?” Toby looked up. “What are you doing here?”

“Are you...gonna attack anyone?” 

“Wha- Oh! No no, I am not.”

“Then, what are you doing here?”

“I’m...I’m just a bit sad right now.”


Toby looked up at the stars. “Someone...a girl I really like...she isn’t coming to the dance tonight.”

“O-Oh?” WordGirl blushed.

“I was really hoping she would though. I wanted...I was going to ask her to Dance.”

“You were?” 

“Yes. I really like her, but she lets her own insecurities stop her from doing things she loves…” Toby sighed. “Do you think...Do you think I’m one of them?”


WordGirl sighed as she lowered her hood, revealing her identity.

“You are Toby…”

“B-Becky?!” Toby gasped.

“I really like you,” Becky said. “And you are an insecurity of mine. Because I really like you but I get so scared you’ll…”

“I’ll what?”

“You’ll reject me just like Scoops.” Becky said. “You’ll make fun of me like everyone else does. Think I’m silly and nothing like WordGirl-“


Toby took her hand.

“You are WordGirl.” Toby said. “Smart, brave, and kind.”

“B-But-“

“I love you, Becky Botsford.” Toby wrapped an arm around Becky’s waist. “Will you Dance with me?”

Becky blushed, but nodded.


So with the faint music of the gym, the two swayed atop the Robot’s shoulder under the stars



THE END


(Happy AprilFools Day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment